This week I began to write a series of tweets which, I hope, will break this pattern of silence that has fallen upon me since Boston. I find I can't engage with any public discussion happening in Nassau right now, largely because the disussions are without result. They are unproductive because they tread old ground incessantly so that they begin to resemble the path of white rats in lab mazes. I don't like feeling like lab rats or hamsters on wheels, so I have unplugged for some time.But one can't stay unplugged forever. So I'm trying to get at least some of the concepts that are crowding my mind down in 140 characters or fewer, hoping the discipline will be constructive. Here's how the series began:
Been blocked/silent on big issues since I went to Boston. Maybe because the gap between life there & life here was so wide ...... not in experience but in possibility. And this is the opposite of what I felt when I lived abroad 20 years ago ...Living in the UK in the 1990s was like living in a coffin: rules everywhere & few rewards. Innovation? impossible. You emigrated to breatheToday Nassau feels the same, only without rules. So as we move towards elections the silly season has graduated to full stupidityAm going to start tweeting what I want to see from my next government. Prospective politicians, you want my attention? Bring it.
And so? The first 10 of the #100things I want from government:
- #100things I want from government: Gender equality. Don't mind the noise in the man-ket. Women vote.
- #100things I want from government: A citizenship policy in a constitution that makes sense. l'd like to be sure my grandkids are Bahamian.
- #100things I want from government: An energy plan that makes sense. An energy plan that puts the power in my hands not some outsider's.
- #100things I want from government: Ideas and ideals for the good of the nation, not new letters and faces for the good of themselves.
- #100things I want from government: Research that unveils the causes of crime PLUS programmes to address them not reaction to the symptoms
- #100things I want from government: Some real democracy. No more vote once every five years & done. Want my MP to represent me not a party.
- #100things I want from government: Protection of the humanity of all within our borders: justice for all regardless of age, sex, origin.
- #100things I want from government: Facilitation of fresh ways of being/seeing, not frustration of everything different or new
- #100things I want from government: Honour & a place at the table for youth. Elders deserve respect, not deification.
- #100things I want from government: Devolution of power. Break up the rule of the 1% over the 400k.